Travel With Mobility Scooter – Freedom Beyond Disabilities
Are you or your beloved one having problem to stand or walk for long time, and thinking to travel with mobility scooter? You have taken the right decision! You or your beloved one can travel anywhere with your mobility scooter. Yes, not only the local shop, but literally it is anywhere in the world.
When people get aged and cannot stand or walk long anymore, they often get depressed by a common thought, “I have lost my biggest freedom.” I have seen my own grandmother and my friends grandmother under such situation. Mobility scooter is a great solve for this problem. In this tiny write up it is not possible to express their excitements, when they got the freedom to travel with mobility scooters. This wonderful tool offers a great refreshment and relaxation to the aged or physically disabled people who are suffering from standing or walking problem.
However, if you are not familiar with mobility scooter, and still interested, this article may be helpful to you.
How Mobility Scooters Help?
Mobility scooters are modern version of wheel chair which are mostly powered by battery. We can see 3-4 seater bigger version of mobility scooters in rail station or airports mainly to serve for older or disabled people. This is a great travel accessory for older or physically restricted people who cannot walk long or suffering with standing problem. If, a person who traveled a lot in the past, and become disabled for some unfortunate reason, his/her passion for travel may not be over (even though he/she is unable). Mobility scooters offer great freedom for them to move not only to the local shops and parks, but also to the international destinations. Nowadays many companies are lunching compact mobility scooters maintaining all criteria to be allowed to carry in airplane, so that disabled people can enjoy their vacation anywhere they want.
- Mobile scooters offer travel freedom to older people who cannot walk long.
- It is very useful to the physically disabled (lower portion) people who need to travel for work.
- This is useful for the fatty people who are suffering from some illness (Not recommended for healthy people without any illness; They are recommended to do exercise).
- Modern mobility scooters with compact design offer long distance vacation to the old and disable people, as compact scooters with certain criteria are allowed to carry in airplane.
- Old and disable people feel refreshed and relaxed when they travel with mobile scooters. The depression for disability disappears when they ride this.
Select the Perfect Mobility Scooter as Per Requirements
You have to decide first the purpose of use of the mobility scooter. May be your looking for indoor, heavy-duty or abroad vacation, you need buy a proper one that suits your needs.
- Indoor and local outdoor purpose: You should prefer relatively lightweight scooters for indoor purpose. This may be foldable or not, but need to be useful for local visits.
- Long run heavy-duty purpose: If you have to run a lot daily even over rough roads, then you should check out for heavy-duty full size mobility scooter. These are much more durable and faster than light ones. They have good battery life but drainage will depend on the given weight.
- Vacation purpose: If you are looking to buy a mobility scooter for you next vacation, you need to be much careful. If it is a road trip then fine, but to travel with mobility scooter in airplane you have to maintain certain other criteria and rules. Please see the section below for the details.
- Three or four wheelers: Three wheeler scooters are easier to handle, while four wheelers are much more stable. You should finalize your choice accordingly.
- Must check body weight vs scooter weight ratio: If you do not follow the proper difference between the body weight of the rider and scooter weight, there may be harmful effects like break down, heavy battery drainage etc. It is better to buy a scooter which is 50-55 lbs (20-25 kg) heavier than the rider.
Rules to Travel with Mobility Scooter on Airplane
Mobility scooter has been classified as medical device by the FDA, and there is no restriction to travel with mobility scooter in airplane, rather it is totally FREE to carry (no extra luggage charge required); but still you have to follow certain criteria.
- Battery: Government of many countries including USA, allows mobility scooters containing less hazardous lead non-spillable batteries (no water content, glass mats hold the lead inside) into the airplane, but there are restrictions for lithium batteries. If your scooter contains lithium batteries larger than 300 Watt Hours, it is better to replace them with non-spillable lead batteries for safety.
- Model: There are many lightweight and compact mobility scooters in market. It is better select a lightweight and foldable mobility scooter for travel by airplane or vacation.
- Need to inform when reserving: During reservation, you must have to inform to the airlines’ authority that, you’ll be traveling with mobility scooter. You may need to provide the details about batteries and model number.
- Keep doctor’s note: You should keep doctor’s note which prescribes to use mobility device, it may require when you will check in to the airport.
- After check in: Your mobility scooter will be taken by the airlines’ workers along with your luggage (if they don’t, then you must ask what to do), and further they will guide you to the airplane by airport mobile devices or wheelchairs. After your journey they’ll transport back your mobility scooter to you.
*You must take a photo of your mobility scooter before boarding, so that you can claim if there will be any damages.
License and Insurance for Mobility Scooter
You don’t need any license to ride a mobile scooter, but registrations may be required in certain countries. As example, in united kingdom there are two types of mobility scooters, Class 2 (not permitted on road, maximum speed 4 mph) and Class 2 (permitted on road, maximum speed 4-8 mph), and registration is required for class 3 categories.
Insurance for mobility scooter is not essential, but it is better to have insurance. The insurance policy covers accidental damage, theft, third party liability, personal accidents, mobility scooter breakdown and few other.
This article provides a detail idea to those people who are unfamiliar, but wish to travel with mobility scooter. Every day, we see many people with walking or standing problems who are unable to move wherever they want, and thus get depressed. In reality, standing or walking disabilities are not a restriction nowadays, if people own this great device. Aged and handicapped people can travel anywhere in mobility scooters which offers great freedom to them.
If you or you beloved one are among them, and if you have some queries or suggestions then please leave a comment in the comment box below.
Thank you for your visit here.
You have a little infant with you, and you are worried about the weekend beach trip in this summer. You are thinking whether it is possible to enjoy the blue water under the shinning sun alike every summer, or not. We understand, baby safety is the first priority for the parents; and In the coast,...
A frequent traveler or travel addict always search for the best suitcase for travel, mainly to enjoy 100% hassle-free journey. The Best suitcase really offers tension free travel experience; as for an example, no need to worry about check in to flight where size and weight restriction matters a lot, tension free travel into the...